Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Caramelized Onion and Swiss Cheese Tart


I think I am slowly coming out of my blogging funk! Well, the actual writing of the blog part maybe not so much, but I've been on a roll with creating things to put on here this week, and have my next several posts planned already. I don't think that's ever happened. With all the time on my hands, I finally knuckled down and spent a good few hours searching out recipes that I was interested in trying, and started creating them.

I wasn't expecting greatness out of this tart... the ingredients were so minimal and simple, and I admit, I was too lazy (or too afraid?) to attempt making my own pie crust, which I have yet to do. But it turned out to be fabulous! The caramelized onions gave such a sweet flavour, which was balanced out nicely by the Swiss and Parmesan cheese. Paired with a spinach or Caesar salad, it is a simple, fresh and delicious meal that can be served hot or cold. I will certainly be making this again, and may even sub in half Gruyere cheese, which would make a nice addition. Yum!



Ingredients:
7 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 lb onions, thinly sliced (about 3 med-large onions)
2 eggs
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 cup grated Swiss cheese
9-inch baked pie shell
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper

Directions:
Melt the butter over medium heat in a heavy skillet. Stir in the onions and cook until they are well browned and caramelized. (This can take a long time, depending on the width of the skillet. The recipe book states up to 30 minutes, but mine took closer to an hour). Stir frequently to avoid burning.

In the meantime, preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl, stir in the cream and season with salt and pepper. Add the Swiss cheese and mix well. Once the onions are done, add into the egg mixture.

Pour the egg and onion mixture into the baked pie shell, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the filling has set and begun to brown (check at 20 minutes).

Remove from the oven and let rest for at least 10 minutes.

Source: Easy Vegetarian, Parragon Books Ltd. 2009

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment