Saturday, February 1, 2014

Honey Glazed Salmon with Browned Butter Lime Sauce


I am SO pleased to share this recipe with you today! I know it's been a long time since I posted anything healthy- ahem, or really anything in general. I'm going to try to do a little better this year. Lately I've been uninspired and unmotivated in the domain of cooking, and I'm guessing this has something to do with the amount of things I have going on in my life. For the most part, I just try to get something quick and healthy on the table, and usually in big batches so I can eat it all week, but the dishes are often lack-lustre and repetitive.


Not this one though baby! I am so pleased I stumbled upon this recipe the other night. The preparation itself could not have been easier, and overall took minimal effort. For all that effort, the final result was absolutely delicious. The flavours in this dish were light and delicate, perfect for anytime of year, but I think it will really shine in the summertime. With every bite you can taste the sharp tang of the lime, the subtle nutty flavour of the browned butter, the sweetness of the honey, and just a touch of garlic.


I have a garlic maple salmon recipe that is typically my go-to; although I haven't posted it on here yet, I do have a similar recipe found here. However, I think this dish may have become my new favorite, and I'm sure I'll be making it again shortly!

Ingredients:
6 salmon fillets, or about a pound and a half cut into fillets
flour
honey
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
zest of 2 limes
salt

For the browned butter lime sauce:
5 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions:
To make the sauce, heat the butter in a small saucepan on medium-high. Swirl the butter occasionally until it has turned a light brown color and has a nutty fragrance. Be sure to keep an eye on the butter so that it does not burn. It will begin to collect brown flecks on the bottom- this is what you want so don't worry! Once the butter has browned, turn the heat to the lowest setting and whisk in the garlic, honey, salt and pepper. Keep the sauce on low to keep warm until the salmon is ready.

To make the fish, place the salmon fillets onto a cutting board and put approximately 1 teaspoon of flour on each side, evenly spreading the flour over the salmon. Drizzle about 1 teaspoon of honey on each side of the salmon (you can coat the second side of the salmon once it's in the saucepan to avoid getting honey on the cutting board).

Drizzle 1 tablespoon olive oil into a saucepan and heat to medium-high. Since you don't want to overcrowd the pan, you may want to use two pans, or do two batches, reserving the second tablespoon of olive oil to use then.

Carefully place the salmon into the pan and cook 3-5 minutes on each side, browning each side of the salmon until the fish flakes. Once the fish is cooked, pour the browned butter sauce over the salmon and sprinkle with lime zest.

Source: adapted from The Recipe Critic, who adapted from Cooking Classy Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment