Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Scalloped Hasselback Potatoes


This post is going to be short and sweet. Pretty busy these days, crammin' in school assignments before work, crafting projects after work, and doing a 6-day work week this week (if you include an 8 hour volunteer shift). This is actually a meal I had last week. Occasionally I'm able to make myself a full sit-down meal with all the basic components (for me it's fish, veggies and either more veggies or a carb of some sort like rice or potatoes, though I rarely eat potatoes). So this side dish was a treat for me! You see, I work evenings. I may have mentioned this before. My shift is 1-9, and so the majority of the time I find myself making a dinner that is easily transportable, and it gets made in the morning before work. It's easiest for me to make a larger amount so I can not worry about making food for the next few days. My biggest go-to is soup, although I'm sure once the warmer weather really hits that will not be so appealing.

Hopefully you don't have to wait for a special opportunity to come up to make these baked potatoes, because they're pretty special and pretty simple. :) Part II of this dish will come up in my next post.

Ingredients:
2 baking potatoes, cleaned
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, very thinly sliced
Parmesan cheese, thinly sliced
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons olive oil
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
sour cream and chives for garnish

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Place the potatoes on their flattest side, and use a sharp knife to slice the potatoes at 1/4 inch intervals. Be careful not to slice all the way through. Place the potatoes on a foil-lined baking sheet.

Stuff the potatoes with the thinly sliced pieces of butter and Parmesan cheese, alternating between the two. Sprinkle the potatoes with the garlic powder and salt, then drizzle the olive oil over them.

Back for 45 minutes to 75 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender (mine were actually closer to an hour and a half- depends on your oven and the size of your potatoes). Remove from the oven and drizzle the heavy cream over the potatoes, and top them with the cheddar cheese. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and browned. Serve topped with sour cream and chives, if desired.

Source: Tracey's Culinary Adventures

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment